What is Bill C-21?
Just a few short days ago the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, Bill Blair, party member to the Liberal Party of Canada tabled Bill C-21 with the supposed goal to clamp down on firearms violations and violence committed with a firearm including gang crime & gender-based violence. After reading over the new bill many airsoft & firearms enthusiasts have found that it will also prohibit the airsoft guns used by weekend warriors and airguns used by plinkers.
What the new legislation means for airgun & airsoft enthusiasts?
Under section 1 (1) the government would replace the current definition of a replica as any and all airguns (read: airsoft, airguns, paintball and similar) that closely resemble any model of firearm that fires over 500 FPS and exceeds 5.7 joules of muzzle energy (real firearms).
What this means is that if your airgun/airsoft/paintball marker are currently classified as an “uncontrolled firearm” under the Criminal Code it will be reclassified as a replica.
Now as if that weren’t enough, the Liberal Government and Bill Blair will also set in place a sweeping ban of all replicas, including all airguns which would be newly classified as such.
What does this mean if you already own one of the affected items? What about if you would like to grow your collection? Unfortunately it would mean you can only keep what you already poses with not hopes of attaining new airguns or even buying used ones. You can find the non-legal explanation on the government’s website by following this link but for the keynotes refer to the screenshot below.
We find this new bill to be a gross government overreach that will destroy the hobbies and livelihoods of many Canadians. We cannot allow the government to pass this bill into law.
What can we do to stop this?
- Sign the House of Commons C-21 Petition (e-3201)
- Sign the petition on Change.org
- Write to your local MP about your concerns
- Contact the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Bill Blair
- Telephone: 613-995-0284 (Hill Office)
- Fax: 613-996-6309 (Hill Office)
- Telephone: 416-261-8613 (Constituency Office)
- Fax: 416-261-5268 (Constituency Office)
- Make a contribution to the Canadian Coalition for Firearms Rights & join to fight this gross overreach
- Spread this page and spread awareness
- Visit the Airsoft in Canada website for updates and how else you can help fight this unfair bill.
At the end of the day all Canadians want our great country to be safer but bills such as C-21 will do nothing but destroy livelihoods & completely dissolve safe & inclusive hobbies.
Thank you for reading this & hope you all stay healthy during these uncertain times,
The Nick’s Sports Shop Team